Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Super Bowl


It's Super Bowl week, a time my guys look forward to...and typically a night filled with friends, FOOD, and lots of fun.

But this year, I'm thinking about it a little differently.  And I'm warning you that THIS blog is going to get REALLY personal, super REAL, here in just a minute.

When you hear guys talking about the Super Bowl, the 2 teams that are playing against each other, their strengths and weaknesses, the PLAYERS always come up (of course!).  Have you ever heard a conversation like this at your house or workplace:

"Man, the ______'s have a real chance this year!  Their quarterback is on fire!  He's 6'2" and weighs 199 lbs."

"Well, I don't know, because the _______'s have an amazing front line.  That one guy is 6'6" and weighs 240 lbs.  He could crush the quarterback like a bug!"

Sound familiar?  Well, it does to me!  And when I hear those conversations, I really just want to shrink away.

Why?

Because I weigh more than those line backers!

No, seriously!  I've just finished researching it!

The Seattle Seahawks have 68 players on their roster listed with their heights and weights, and I went through the list and 34 of them weigh less than I do!  That's right, people...HALF of the Seahawks football team weighs LESS than me!

Now, granted, that number would have been higher a few months ago, but still can you understand the feeling it gives me when I hear people say, "Man, that guys is HUGE!  He must weigh like 235?!"

Know why that bothers me?  Because, as of this morning, I weigh 242.8  Yes, after our little trip to Georgia, I gained some.  Before we went, I was at 240.

So, there you have it...my numbers from the scale, out here on a world-wide blog for everyone to see!

But I have to do it.  I have to put it out there.  Because if I keep hiding it, I feel like it's going to choke me!  For far too long I have allowed the number to define me, to control me, to manipulate my day/week/life!

Does it make it any easier to hear guys talk about their favorite football linebacker and know that I outweigh him?  No.

But it does tear down a curtain of fear.  It allows me to say, "You know what?  Yes, I'm overweight.  I know it.  You know it.  But it's ok because I'm working on it.  And it doesn't really matter what the scale says.  What matters is how I feel inside."

Now, the HARD part is transferring that "knowledge" from my head to my heart and really believing it! 

But I'm working on it.

And "GO, HAWKS!" 

2 comments :

  1. You know what? I am proud of you! Want to know why? In all the years I have known you and all the talks we have had about the weight issue - this is the first time I can really see you changing and that makes me happy!! Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, thank you SO much for those words! And you're right...this is the first time in all my life that I really AM changing, from the INSIDE out.

    ReplyDelete